Dr. Ryan Sinclair is an assistant professor in the Center for Community Resilience at the Loma Linda University School of Public Health. He is an environmental microbiologist who has projects in wastewater, stormwater, household hygiene, and food safety.
His projects use a citizen science approach with community organizations in the Coachella Valley and other areas of Southern California. Dr. Sinclair worked as a post-doc in the National Research Council Associateship program, then research scientist at the University of Arizona Water Village.
He has a PhD in water quality from Tulane University, a Masters of Public Health from Loma Linda University, and a Bachelor’s degree in Zoology from Brigham Young University.
About the Loma Linda University School of Public Health
The school’s foundation was laid in 1948 with the organization of the School of Tropical and Preventive Medicine, the purpose of which was to provide a base for research and teaching. In 1964, plans were laid for faculty and facilities to meet the requirements of the Committee on Professional Education of the American Public Health Association (APHA). Three years later, the School of Nutrition and Dietetics (established in 1922) and the Division of Public Health and Tropical Medicine were accredited by APHA and organized under the name Loma Linda University School of Public Health. This name was changed to School of Health in October 1970 to reflect more clearly the school’s emphasis on lifestyle. In response to changing societal perceptions and definitions of “public health,” the original name, School of Public Health, was readopted in August 1987. The Center for Health Promotion, the Department of Preventive Medicine, and the Preventive Medicine Group were merged into the School of Public Health in 1990. The expanded resources realized by this merger stimulated further growth and development of the school to provide a dynamic learning and research environment for its students and faculty.
The school has maintained continuous accreditation since it was accredited at its inception in 1967 by the American Public Health Association. It is currently accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH): 1010 Wayne Avenue, Suite 220, Silver Spring, MD 20910; and is also a member of the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH).