Roads Reopen With Full Containment Of Thermal Fire

Roads Reopen With Full Containment Of Thermal Fire

News Staff

A 22-acre fire in Thermal that triggered a mobile home park evacuation was fully contained Wednesday morning and roads reopened, but nearly two dozen firefighters stayed on scene to douse any flare-ups.

The non-injury blaze, initially reported as a mulch fire, broke out around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday near Fillmore Street and Avenue 69.

The Riverside County Fire Department sent five dozen personnel to the scene and ordered evacuations on the north side of the Oasis Mobile Home Park in the 88700 block of Avenue 70. A reception center for evacuees was established at Desert Mirage High School. Residents got the all-clear to return about 8 p.m. Tuesday.

The fire was 100% contained just before 10 Wednesday morning and county crews were relieved by 22 firefighters assigned by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Riverside County firefighters responded to the scene initially as they have a “direct protection” agreement with the BIA for emergency situations on native land, according to BIA spokesman Ray Ruiz.

Fillmore Street was reopened around 9:15 a.m., according to the Riverside County Department of Transportation.

The fire was roughly 10 miles from a 130-acre blaze that broke out Saturday and was declared fully contained Monday night, though winds stirred flareups within the containment lines Tuesday afternoon.

Desert winds kicked up hot spots within the containment lines of that fire Tuesday afternoon, forcing the closure of a nearby roadway.

Although the flareups did not cross previously established containment lines around the Shady Fire, the Riverside County Fire Department dispatched seven engine crews and two water tenders to douse the hot spots, spokeswoman April Newman said.

Tyler Street was closed between Avenue 54 and Airport Boulevard while crews worked to handle the flareups.

The Shady Fire was declared fully contained at 6:18 p.m. Monday. The blaze began just before 11 p.m. Saturday and quickly consumed 10 acres near the intersection of Airport Boulevard and Shady Lane, ultimately spreading across 130 acres. The cause was under investigation.

Containment efforts were hampered Sunday by high winds and blowing sand, Riverside County Fire Department spokeswoman Jody Hagemann said. One firefighter suffered non-life-threatening injuries battling the flames, she said.

According to Hagemann, some airport property was damaged along with mulch-making machinery at a livestock feed business.

There was no word on the cause of either fire.