(CNN) — Former Vice President Mike Pence said Friday that he had been previously unaware classified documents were at his Indiana home but that “mistakes were made” and he takes full responsibility.
Pence said during remarks at Florida International University that he had thought “out of an abundance of caution, it would be appropriate to review (his) personal records” kept at his Carmel, Indiana, residence after revelations that classified documents had been found at President Joe Biden’s private office and residence.
CNN first reported that a lawyer for Pence found last week about a dozen documents marked as classified at the home. The discovery came after Pence had repeatedly said he did not have any classified documents in his possession.
Pence said Friday that they determined there was a “small number of documents marked classified or sensitive interspersed in my personal papers,” and that they “immediately” secured the documents. They then notified the National Archives, turned over the documents to the FBI and communicated the finding to Congress, he said.
“And while I was not aware that those classified documents were in our personal residence, let me be clear: Those classified documents should not have been in my personal residence. Mistakes were made. And I take full responsibility,” he said.
The FBI and the Justice Department’s National Security Division have launched a review of the documents and how they ended up in Pence’s house.
It is not yet clear what the documents are related to or their level of sensitivity or classification.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
™ & © 2023 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.